Carteret Health Care and the CHC Imaging Center are pleased to announce that the newest technology for our women’s breast health services has been installed. The Genius 3D mammography is available for patients. This Selenia Dimensions system from Hologic is revolutionizing how breast cancer is detected.
Researcher are finding the Genius 3D mammography combined with 2D mammography provides:
- 41% increase in detection of invasive breast cancer, compare to 2D alone.
- Significant reduction in women recalled for additional imaging by 15%
3D mammography most benefits patients with the following conditions:
- Extremely dense heterogeneously dense breast,
- History of multiple breast biopsies,
- Personal history of breast cancer,
- More than 2 first degree relatives with breast cancer,
- Women with more than 20% lifetime risk of developing breast cancer determined by genetic testing, or
- History of Mantle radiation for Hodgkin’s Disease
The technologists and physicians are trained and certified to ensure a safe environment for patients. This new imaging will be available to patients at the CHC Imaging Center, 3402 Arendell Street, Morehead City. Use of the 3D mammography will be physician driven based upon meeting certain medical and family history criteria; however, anyone interested in having a 3D exam may share their desire with their doctor. Physicians will need to specify 2D or 3D when scheduling patients for screening or diagnostic mammography. 3D must be stated on the patient’s order.