The physician's office will schedule your test for 7am Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. At the hospital, go to Patient Registration at the 35th Street entrance to register.
- Maintain normal activity and eating habits for three days prior to testing unless otherwise instructed by your physician
- Discontinue as many medications as your doctor allows for three days prior to testing
- You must NOT EAT OR DRINK anything (except small amounts of water) for at least 10 hours before your test
- No alcoholic beverages for at least 24 hours prior to testing
- You should bring a book to read or another quiet activity to occupy your time during the procedure. A 3HR Tolerance Test will take approximately four hours; a 4HR test, five hours; a 5HR test, six hours, etc.
- No smoking, gum chewing, eating or drinking
- You may walk around during the intervals between specimen collection, but no strenuous activity. We cannot allow you to leave the hospital grounds
- A urine specimen may be needed with each blood specimen collection
- Usually, there are no side effects, but if you experience any lightheadedness, nausea, etc., these should be reported to the lab staff
What Will Happen:
Soon after arrival at the laboratory, you will have a blood sample drawn for your baseline test (and a urine specimen collected if necessary). Once the blood test is ran (approximately 20 minutes), you will be given a sweet drink (glucose solution). Blood (and urine) will then be collected at half-hour, one hour, two hours, etc., for the designated number of hours your tolerance test is scheduled. Normal activity may be resumed when testing is completed.