Providers of Quality Health Care...
At Carteret Health Care, Compassion Runs Deep.
This is illustrated by our core mission: to provide top-quality care to the community we serve.
But our responsibilities as a health care provider extend far beyond the walls of our hospital. We believe that it is our duty to ensure the health and well-being of every member of our community, by providing easy access to the necessary tools and resources at little to no cost to our patients.
Some of the ways we give back to the community include:
- Partnership with UNC Lineberger Center since 2012 allows for state of the art care and clinical trials right in Morehead City
- Leukemia/Lymphoma Support Group (free)
- Tickled Pink Breast Cancer Support Group (free)
- Free monthly Lunch and Learn event to help cancer survivors, patients and care givers embrace healthy lifestyles
- Pharmacy Residency Program - our awarded pharmacy residency program allows pharmacy students to learn from some of the best pharmacists in the region, and encourages them to bring their talents back to the Morehead City community. Read more
- Fully funded local school health nurse
- Fully funded nursing faculty position at Carteret Community College
- Childbirth and Breastfeeding classes (free)
- Community Blood Drives and giving staff time to donate
- Safe Sitter classes educating future babysitters on CPR and emergency response
- Better Breathers support group - free support group for those who suffer from respiratory diseases, sponsored by the American Lung Association
- Free community Health Fairs and Education throughout the county
- Free community screenings for breast cancer, skin cancer, prostate cancer, stroke, diabetes, heart failure, and pulmonary function
- Free Outreach Services for Patients - Telehealth for congestive heart failure, COPD, pneumonia, sepsis, stroke, hypertension, and post hip/knee
- Free Transitions of Care for Patients, including home visits and dietary consults
At an affordable cost...
As a not-for-profit community institution, Carteret Health Care strives to deliver all of its services at the lowest possible cost to its patients.
Despite a changing health care landscape, Carteret Health Care has successfully managed to bill half the national average for its mix of cases.
For a complete breakdown of the hospital's billing versus state and national averages, click here.
Don't take our word for it.
It's easy to tout our quality care, but the proof of our capabilities is in the numerous awards and accreditations we have received from third-party groups. Most recently, these include:
- Multi-recipient of A Hospital Safety Scores by The Leapfrog Group
- Included as a Top 100 Rural and Community Hospital by iVantage Health Analytics, 2016
- One of the Best Hospitals by Business North Carolina, 2015
- More rapid improvement than 98.5% in 2015 and 80% in 2016 nationwide by Truven Health Analytics, a healthcare analytics company that publishes the 100 Top Hospitals Report.
- Awarded accreditation by the Commission on Cancer (CoC) of the American College of Surgeons (ACoS) since 2013.
- Recognized for Medical Oncology by the Quality Oncology Practice Initiative.
- Achieved recognition for Excellence in breast health as a Pink Ribbon Facility for 3D Breast Imaging.
- Awarded The Joint Commission's Gold Seal of Approval® and the AHA's Heart-Check Mark for Advanced Certification as a Primary Stroke Center.
- Silver Plus Target Honor Roll Award for Stroke care (1 of 65 hospitals in nation) by American Heart Association as recognized in the US News & World Report for Stroke treatment.
- First Hospital in North Carolina to receive the AFIB Bronze Quality Achievement Award for implementing specific quality improvement measures outlined by the American Heart Association/American College of Cardiology/Heart Rhythm Society guidelines for the management of patients with atrial fibrillation.
- Cutting edge Telehealth program reduces readmissions for heart failure and COPD patients.
- Nationally recognized for superior readmission rates.
- Gold Plus Award and Honor Roll for Heart Failure (1 of 102 hospitals in nation) and Silver for atrial fib (1 of 14 hospitals in nation, only 1 in NC) and Silver for Resuscitation (1 of 36 hospitals in nation) by American Heart Association as recognized in the US News & World Report for Heart Failure treatment.
- Earned Quality Respiratory Care Recognition (QRCR) under a national program aimed at helping patients and families make informed decisions about the quality of the respiratory care services available in hospitals. This is the 9th year that Carteret has been one of only 700 hospitals or approximately 15% of hospitals in the U.S. have received this award.
- Certfied by The Joint Commission for Joint Replacement - Hip
- Certified by The Joint Commission for Joint Replacement - Knee
- Awarded the highly-sought accreditation from the American Academy of Sleep Medicine (AASM)
All American College of Radiology (ACR) accredited - PET/CT imaging, MRI, Nuclear Medicine, 3D Digital Mammography, and Imaging Center
- Diabetes recognized by American Diabetes Association
Home Care Care:
- Center of Excellence for Bariatric Surgery
Pharmacy Residency Program:
- Accredited by The Joint Commission
- Earned HomeCare Elite designation.
RN Transition to Practice:
- Leading the way for Pharmacy Residency programs in NC by being one of only 28 institutions accredited by the Commission on Credentialing of the American Society of Health System Pharmacists.
- Recognized for best practice for new RN Transition to Practice and Patient Plan of Care model by The Joint Commission, hospital accreditation agency.