Victoria Selley, DO has been selected as the 2016 Physician of the Year at Carteret Health Care. She was honored during a celebration on Friday, March 25th at A Pierless Vista, during a celebration of National Doctors Day.
Dr. Selley is the Medical Director of Emergency Medicine Physicians at Carteret Health Care and spearheads numerous programs and committees including the Advanced Primary Stroke Care Program. As a Physician Champion for stroke patients, emergency patients and patient satisfaction, she constantly raises the bar for excellent, quality care. She received her medical degree from Nova Southeastern University College of Osteopathic Medicine and completed her residency at Lehigh Valley Hospital. She is certified by the American Osteopathic Board of Emergency Medicine.
Dr. Selley grew up in a similar coastal community of Okeechobee, Florida. While in medical school, Dr. Selley served as the Student Government President and met her husband, Dr. Jeremy Selley at an Osteopathic Convention.
Scholarships lured her to Southern College for undergraduate studies but her alma mater did not prevent her from cheering on the Florida Gators. While there, she was a member of the Zeta Tau Alpha Sorority and served as the president one year.
Those who nominated Dr. Selley cited her tremendous dedication to safe patient care first and described her as an amazing, compassionate doctor. Other comments include:
· She is a true patient advocate who started the AIDET initiative to increase patient satisfaction. Direct patient care begins with the very basics, which the AIDET principle reinforces. It is an upmost concern of hers that all patients are treated with the greatest compassion, respect and quality of care...done consistently. She has taken this message house wide, well beyond the Emergency Department.
· She is always available to answer questions from patients and family members. She is one who listens and does everything to make sure the patient is okay.
· Provides caring and compassionate care all the time. She is a role model for others in scripting and managing up nursing and other providers.
· Dr. Selley will give the shirt off of her back to any patient she comes in contact with regardless of their social situation or ability to pay.
· Dr. Selley is an excellent provider, always doing what is best for her patients. In today's healthcare, due to the economy, insurances, lack of insurances, etc., many times the patient ultimately suffers despite a healthcare team trying to help. Dr. Selley is very conscious of the restraints and limitations that many patients face and goes above and beyond making sure patients have what they need to recover in the best way before allowing them to leave.
· Dr. Selley not only staff's the ED, but also leads the other providers to ensure high quality, safe patient care is provided. Her bedside manner exemplifies the values and mission of CHC.
· Always willing to assist nursing staff with patient care. Consistently going the extra mile for patients and their family members.
· Dr. Selley goes above and beyond patient expectations every time. If she can figure out what is wrong with them, even in complicated cases that require specialists, she certainly will. She is reassuring and takes charge of an otherwise bad situation resulting in the best outcome possible.
· Dr. Selley sits with patients and families to express her compassion for them. She treats patients as she would her family member and expects the same from all providers. If she is contacted regarding a patient, who feels we missed their expectations, she will call them and answer questions or provide any guidance that they need to facilitate community care. She follows through on all patient concerns regardless of which physician saw them initially. She is kind, caring, compassionate and always has a smile.
· She is genuine in her approach to the patients and families; she takes the time necessary to answer their questions and concerns. She assesses their level of understanding and goes the extra steps to bridge the gap.
· Dr. Selley is personable and engages each patient and family member at THEIR level of understanding. She is a natural teacher and empathetic healer.
· Dr. Selley gives each and every patient that she has her full and undivided attention and ensures their needs are not just met but satisfied. From the triage toothache to working a code her empathy and compassion make her the doctor each of us would want.
Dr. Donald Pocock, Vice President of Medical Affairs shared, “Dr. Selley sets the bar high for all medical staff members. She exemplifies the caring and compassion that distinguish so many remarkable physicians.”
Pocock concludes, “She is very deserving of this honor and I offer her sincere congratulations and appreciation for her dedication to Carteret County and our hospital.”